Users who subscribed to Giganews Diamond package ( $ 34.99) get a VPN access (VyprVPN) and the MIMO Newsreader.
Giganews is Usenet reference for users of newsgroups. More expensive than average but the offer is high quality and included a free VPN. Here is an explanation about the interest of using L2TP:
L2TP is equivalent to OPENVPN protocol in terms of reliability. Especially if you don’t transmit hyper-sensitive data. (More information about this protocol on this VPN information site)
MIMO still in beta. The current version is v0.2.3 which was released July 6, 2011. In addition to improved speed, there is a task bar more modern. Obviously the developers will finally introduce an images viewer by adding a more complete preview after a search.
Installation is very simple , 7-steps
Configuring the Mimo client:
By default your login information are pre-recorded in MIMO. It is therefore unnecessary to add your user name and password. The SSL (secure transfer newsgroups) is activated and the address in use is: news.giganews.com
- Tools tab => Servers Settings
The SSL port is 563, sometimes by changing the port to 443 you can avoid slowing or clamping the speed
- Max Connections: 10 is good. Except in cases of high-speed connection such as cable or optical fiber , it is unnecessary to add more. Put too much can slow speeds because the software tries to connect and the server must respond.
- Bandwidth Acceleration: Select this option to have a minimum speed of download.
- Tools tab => Download Settings
Target Directory: Where your files will appear. You can change path.
Repairing files: On Usenet over 98% of files are complete. Completeness (or completion) is not perfect for three reasons:
- Usenet Providers exchange files between them. If you post a file on Giganews, you will be able to find it on Newshosting or Usenetserver !
- Upload can be incomplete because the server has technical problems!
- Files are kept (retention text and binary) up to 1060 days for binary (videos, images, music, …).Files may be incomplete because they are deleted at the end of this period.
To fill/repair these 1 to 2% of incomplete, there are repair files that we call “PAR”. These are parity files to identify and correct errors of incomplete downloads.
Enable option:repair automatically the files after downloading with MIMO client.
You can do two essential operations on newsgroups:
- -Participate in the Big 8 groups of texts. As a traditional forum you can discuss, share, respond, initiate discussions on the focus groups belonging to the Big 8.
-Tools tab => Identity Settings indicate your username and email address
-To select a group: View tab => Group List. A list appears. For information on Giganews you can find over 100,000 newsgroups !
- -alt.binaries: Most popular : there are image files, video, ISO, ….
With MIMO you can search all possible file types within all groups. Two engines are offered: Golden Frog Usenet Search Usenet and NzbIndex.Nl